My name is Alex Browne, and I'm a London-based product manager / product owner with experience in the advertising, education and healthcare industries. I am currently working at Touch Surgery, a healthcare startup using video and 3D simulations to aid surgical learning.
Language skills: English (native), German, French (both fluent with professional working experience), Spanish (intermediate).
2017-present: Senior Product Owner, Touch Surgery
In my current role, I define the roadmap and development tasks for a cross-functional scrum team of 8 developers (iOS, Android, web, backend), QAs and UX and UI designers.
2015-2017: Product Manager / Head of Mobile, Show My Homework
Reporting into the CEO, I am responsible for the following:
- Mobile product (iOS and Android); defining and implementing the mobile roadmap throughout the development cycle, from ideation, requirements gathering and wireframing, through to Agile-based development, QA and launch. I also remotely manage a team of two developers based in Ukraine.
- Analytics - in charge of analytics strategy, implementation and reporting. Using Mixpanel, Google Analytics, Fabric and database queries via MySQL, I use usage and engagement data to inform strategy and product decisions and report trends and findings to the executive team and board of directors.
- Working closely with the web and API development and product team on the web implementation of the tool.
- Working with engineering, support, sales and account management to ensure maximum visibility across the company.
2014-2015: Manager, Corporate Programs, Yahoo EMEA
Reporting into the advisor to Marissa Mayer, Yahoo’s CEO, I owned and oversaw the successful implementation of corporate initiatives in EMEA that originated from the Office of the CEO. The programs I led were:
- Yahoo’s corporate smartphone program, which involved working on contract negotiation, cost efficiencies, inventory management and usage data review, in order to provide corporate devices to every Yahoo employee in the region
- Yahoo for Good, Yahoo's corporate social responsibility efforts, which included the devising and launching of strategic charitable partnerships, and coordinating large scale volunteering opportunities across EMEA
- In addition to this role, I also served as co-chair on the advisory board of the Yahoo Employee Foundation (YEF) globally, developing fundraising strategy (in excess of $1m annually) and reviewing grant allocations. I also headed up the UK chapter of YEF, organising employee-led fundraising events and social responsibility activities
- The company's free food program, which provided daily catering for all employees across all global office locations
2013-2014: Product Manager / EMEA Lead, Yahoo EMEA
As Product Manager / EMEA Lead, I provided product management and led a team that created custom built content marketing solutions on Yahoo sites as part of multi-region, high value deals for clients such as Visit Britain, P&G, Paramount, and Disney. My primary objectives were to ensure on-time and fault-free launches of these projects.
- Product management duties: working with specialised sales teams and designers to advise on site design, module usage and achievable timelines, based on the advertiser's requirements; discussing projects with the Bangalore-based engineering team to assess issues before handing over to project management team for the development phase
- Management duties: leading project management team of four members – working with and supporting direct reports to ensure they had the required information to bring the project to launch; maintaining an accurate project pipeline and feature backlog using initially Scrum, and later Kanban to that ensure timelines were met.
- Managing business operations for region – working on best practices with global team, creating revenue reports, ensuring workflows were as efficient and smooth as possible.
- Giving product updates to the wider EMEA teams, relating to Yahoo's publishing and analytics platforms, plus general product initiatives within Yahoo.
2011-2013: Project Manager, Yahoo EMEA
I worked as a project manager in the above mentioned Custom Branded Experiences team, liaising with diverse parts of the business such as sales, engineering, editorial and designers to ensure on-time, fault-free launches of branded, sponsored sections on Yahoo properties using Agile development methodologies.
The website of London-based artist Ruth Murray.
The website of Surrey-based yoga instructor Holly Hood.
A page that allows wedding guests to contribute towards a honeymoon via PayPal.
A site for Pilates instructor Emily Crawley, now based in Amman, Jordan.